News & Events
May 30, 2020
Important Information for Return to In-Class Instruction
On May 15, 2020, the provincial government announced a partial resumption of in-class instruction beginning June 1. Since then we have been very busy preparing our school for the partial return to school making sure that the health and safety of our students, staff and parents is at the forefront of our decisions. We are looking forward to seeing the faces of our students up close that we have missed for the last 2 months.
For those of you who have informed us through your surveys that your child will be returning to school June 1st, we would like to provide you further information to review before bringing your child to school on Monday:
- Please perform a daily wellness check with your child using this checklist as a guide. You do not need to submit the forms to the school, they are for your information only. It is of utmost importance that your child remains home if they show any symptoms of common cold, influenza, COVID 19 and other infectious respiratory disease before sending them to school. Daily-health-assessment-parents-v2
- Staff will remind children and each other to practice diligent hand washing
- It is suggested that you or another adult escort your child to school so that you can assist them with where to line up and observe physical distancing.
- Students are to wait at their designated areas on marked spots (hands, feet and body to self) until their teacher either comes out to get them or opens the door to their classroom.
- As students enter their classroom they will be directed to their desk and when everyone has entered the room, the classroom teacher will ask the students to wash their hands. All students need to wash their hands every time they enter the building from outside and after using the washroom. Students in the portable have access to hand sanitizer.
- We ask that parents remain outside the building in order to maintain density requirements. If you need to talk to the teacher please send an email or call the school. Non-staff adults will not be allowed to enter the school without a pre-arranged appointment.
- Doors to the school will remain locked during the day by the direction of the school district. This policy will be reviewed as we go forward.
- Please ensure that your child has everything they need when they arrive at school (books, glasses, jacket, water bottle). Please do not drop anything off at the school for your child.
- Please do not send any toys or other items from home. We are asking that you only send essential items that are necessary for learning. Your classroom teacher will send home more information regarding supplies if they require any additional items to support activities and learning throughout the weeks.
- Please send your child to school with a filled water bottle as water fountains have been disabled.
- If you decide to send a snack, please ensure that it is ready to eat (if it needs washing please make sure it has been washed at home). We are asking that whatever is brought into the school in the way of food is also taken home. Please remind your child that they are not to share food at school. At this time, please do not bring any birthday treats.
- Parents will pick their child up from the area that they dropped them off in the morning. ESW parents of children that are in the Learning Centre at the end of the day will pick their child up from outside the gym area. ESW parents of children who started their day in the Learning Centre will pick their children up at their classroom or other designated areas. ( Please see the email that was sent home with more information)
- Where possible, please have your child dress for the weather as they may be spending some time outside during the day.
We have worked very hard getting the school ready for the students’ arrival. Wherever possible, we have planned to have students stay with their classroom teachers however; staffing (details/complications) may mean that students will not be with their classroom teacher. An email will have been sent home informing you of this situation.
If you are not sending your child to school starting June 1st and would like them to attend the following week, please do not hesitate to contact the school and we can make arrangements for your child to start school the week of June 8th.
For those students/families who will not be returning to school in the month of June, we will scheduling time for you to come to the school to collect your supplies/belongings once we have settled.
As we pivot to in-class learning, while maintaining remote learning, we will continue to do what we can to provide the best learning opportunities for all of our students. We look forward to seeing many of you over the next month as we enter into the last month of the school year.
If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact the school.
Have a great weekend and see you all June 1st!
Karen Catherwood Principal- École Qayqayt Elementary